Monday, August 18, 2008

Magnificent Millinery

The runways were rife with haute hats! From English countryside to concrete jungle, the inspirations were multiple, and the millinery exquisite!
At right: Philip Treacy for Ralph Lauren.

Photo by David Slijper for W Magazine.
Karen Henriksen for Ports 1961 felted wool hat.
This photo courtesy wwd.com.
Runway photos via Vogue Paris unless otherwise noted.

Carolina Herrera hunting chic
These fabulous feathers were one of the highlights of the fall collections!


Note that the model is wearing a scarf as a head wrap beneath this wonderful tweed fedora!
Celine leather riding cap

Christian Dior printed pony fur

Christian Dior monochrome cowgirl
Comme
de Garcons









Dolce & Gabbana glam newsboy
Doo.ri
Russian sable . . .
. . . and green cashmere turban
Jean Paul Gaultier gets foxy!

James Coviello
Ladylike glamour
This photo via style.com.
John Galliano offered the most fanciful variety of hats on the Fall 2008 runway . . .

From "soft serve" millinery
to floral decadence a la grandma's shower cap!
to sculptural Claes Oldenberg style confections . . .
to felt flower power
Jeremy Scott channels the Riddler
Marc Jacobs "faux" hawk


Marni transparent rain hat





Ralph Lauren plaid, feathers, and leopard
Roberto Cavalli velvet banded fedora
Vanessa Bruno fur decadence in winter white
Yohji Yamamoto
What to buy and where?
Topshop has some fantastic hats for autumn!
Photo above via topshop.com.
Here are 12 ways to top off your autumn ensembles!

1) Headpiece
Left:
J. Smith Bespoke Millinery
Photo courtesy http://elfashionista.net/

Below:
Laura Kranitz feathered headpiece, at laurakranitz.com

2) Cloche – a bell-shaped fitted hat popularized in the 1920s


At left, Gucci
Rag & Bone Deckard Cloche, at eluxury.com
3) Fedora
Phillip Treacy for Superfine black fedora. Visit presseboutique.com
4) Bowler
This Forever 21 wool “cocktail” bowler is just $18.80
5) Floppy
Camel Ashbury hat, $19.50 at alloy.com
6) Newsboy
or “Gatsby”

J. Crew wool tweed newsboy
7) Beret

Donna Karan
(left)
and Chanel
(below right)
8) Kepi -
French army hat with a flat circular cap and visor
A. Kurtz snap down cap, at
revolveclothing.com
9) Flat
Diesel cream Ferenz cap, at revolveclothing.com
10) Balmoral Bonnet - a traditional Scottish cap worn with Highland Dress; named after Balmoral Castle, a Royal residence in Scotland.

Try the Gossip Girl take on the trend: a plaid pom pom cap from hatattack.com. GG photos via tvguide.com.
CC also loves this Eugenia Kim plaid brim hat, available at bluefly.com.
11) Ear flap
Eugenia Kim houndstooth hat
Go to bluefly.com
12) Sailor
Not just for Gilligan!
How gorgeous is this Oscar de la Renta jeweled cap?


How will you be wearing fall's magnificent millinery?

54 comments:

http://elfashionista.net said...

great post, muy inspirador! gracias por el link, besotes

Lauren said...

i wish everyone wore awesome hats everyday like they used to in the glamourous decades!

Clara Sheller said...

So in love with floppy ones!!!!11

kimia said...

i absolutely love the carolina herrera one, i can actually see myself wear it!

leeselooks said...

definately craving hats now...

I have one coming in the mail... hope it arrives soon:)

are you a hat girl?

loves. xx.

Myriam said...

Oh my all these hats are amazing!

Hanne said...

I'm leaving for Greece tonight, we're going to the island of Skiathos! It's soooo beautiful, my favourite Greek island! 14 days of sun, bathing, wine, beautiful scenery and Greek hospitality. Love it:)
Have a nice time while I'm away, I'm looking forward to read your blog when I get back:)

Hanne

STYLE DU MONDE said...

Fabulous post! I like all these hats a lot! So beautiful!

xx

Anonymous said...

nice post! love the hats!!

MarĂ­a Pilar Bernal Maya said...

I love all kind of hats. it´s a pity that where I live people don´t use it a lot so when I wear them I can feel people staring at me... in a strange way -I don´t mind at all but otherwise I´d use them a lot more!
Your post is fantastic. Congratulations!
kss
;-)

Anonymous said...

that photo is stunning! is that masha? i'm loving the feathers! =) and the marc jacobs faux hawk is amazing! =)

Always In Style said...

Great post - I've been meaning to do a Trends Report on hats - thanks for reminding me!

Danz said...

Hey CC!

This headwear is gorgeous! I love the beret, cloche, knit and feathered hats!

Also, I received an email today about a Fashion Writing Contest where you have to write about the 'IT' trends for fall and you can win some great prizes.

I don't know if you've heard about it already but I can't enter because it's only open to U.S residents so I thought I'd pass it on to you.

Here's the link:

http://myitthings.com/contest/16/fashion

If you decide to enter, let me know because I'd definitely vote for you to win!

Lots of love and enjoy the rest of your day:)

Seeker said...

I love love hats, but I'm like TUPERSONALSHOPPERVIAJERO, in my small comunity when something it's a bit different people stares at it, so I don't use them as I wish, but I still keep buying some... waiting for my confidence to wear them.

Thanks for posting about, it's inspirational.(And who knows many give more confidence ;))

xoxo

Couture Carrie said...

Hey eveyone, thanks for the brills remarks!

De nada, Mer!

Lml & Clara - me too!

Lisa - I AM a hat girl, especially newsboys, fedoras, and skullcaps in the winter!

Hanne - have an amazing time in Greece!

Farren, I think you are right; that is Masha.

Danz, you are so incredibly thoughtful!!! I had not heard about that contest yet, so I will go check it out right now! Thank you :)

Smooches, darlings!

xoxox,
CC

Richel said...

if only hats didn't make my head look so small, i would wear it!

Fashion_Girl22 said...

Those hats are spectacular! I love your choices! Each hat was so uniqe and special in its own right! I agree with Clara Sheller: floppy hats are great!

Tricia said...

I'm ecstatic to see so many gorgeous hats, I am such a hat girl. Thanks!

Mrs.French said...

love, love, love...the feathers are my favorite.

shopinchic said...

I love hats! Berets,fedoras,floppy hats...they are a must.

Daniela Valdez said...

These hats are gorgeous! Great post.. as always!!

Hunters Glory said...

haute post! love hats!

MĂ³nica said...

I am so into hats at the moment, I adore them, and they can make a simple look so sophisticated...great post;)! very inspiring;)!

..... said...

the hats from galliano and prada are the best !! very well-documented post

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVING this post! M for MAGNIFICENT! Such a hat fan! FUN FUN FUN!!!

Noooooooo COWL... actually one thing about fashion these days... you CAN ignore it...LOL! ;)

Shay said...

oooh, I have a pattern for a hat like the green knit turban one, you've reminded me to pull it out!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love all these hats! When I used to have longer hair, I'd wear hats constantly. Now I find that my short hair just doesn't suit them anymore :C

starbrained said...

I really love the Ralph Lauren hats! I really need to buy a fedora, actually.

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I love hats especially the ones presented at Carolina Herrera...but I never wear them... they always ruin my hair :P ... by the way, to answer your question, I've never bought Cheap Monday but if you do let me know if you like them... right now I am totally obsession over the J brand (the ones you recommended),I live in them, lol...

WendyB said...

I really need to wear my hats more often. This post is very inspiring.

Wendy said...

You are so good with these trend posts!

Toni Alexis said...

lovely post! i adore hats and there are a few on this post i sooo want!

xoxo

Angela said...

all the hats are so savvy. but like i said before john galliano's foxy fur hat is scary. i like the idea of hat but always manage to look not so savvy with them. also in california people just don't wear hats.

Aliena said...

I love hats, but cannot/know how to wear them :(

Annie Spandex said...

That dollar sign hat is... something else!!

I /love/ berets...

Sharon S said...

Hi there-another great post, my dear!! I love the green cashmere turban and the Ralph Lauren plaid hat! For me though, I'll be wearing my brown tweed fedora this winter!!

Songy said...

what's with the hat with the dollar signs.. ha ha.

I do have a big hat which I bought in paris years ago. .I might have to show off that one!

Cate said...

philip treacy, he's so crazy! i love looking at his creations! i wish we were back in the 30s where everybody wore fashionable hats every day!

Marian said...

hats glorious hats! its amazing how a hat can totally transform the lines of an outfit. The John Galliano are amazing and so varied!
Oh yes for shoes I go Nine west too,Kurt geiger,Carvela,Next,Topshop and Michael Kors,Azagury,Kia. I never knew hon that Prada and Manolo did our size. I knew that Choo's go up to elevens.kisses Carrie!!
Marian

Kriston said...

Wow, great blog.
These hats are adorable!
Some of the models' eye makeup is so eccentric, I love it!

MakeupByRenRen said...

i love hats! so much easier to deal with hair that way too...the run way styles are so fun...but i like how you showed more wearable styles at the end too :)

LucyinStLou said...

Love the Rag & Bone cloche! I used to wear hads all the time in high school and have stopped. I really should invest this season.

Unknown said...

oooh i want to wear hats... but usually my head is just too small...

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

Amazing post! Ports 1961, Gucci, Ralph Lauren and de la Renta are after my heart!

Unknown said...

the turban is my favorite! I love love me some turbans.

♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

im not a hat person but they are definitely beautiful there!

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

This is my favorite post yet!!

jess said...

Hats are great. I really want a leopard pillbox one

Tonia said...

This is very inspirational, although I'm afraid I would get quite a share of weird looks if I were to wear those little works of art. My favs for autumn are bowlers, fedoras are getting played out, but still classy, and berets are great for casual style..

Unknown said...

I wish we could all just wear hats every day and not be looked at strangely! Even though sometimes I think they're kind of silly, I'm jealous of the hats the British wear to events bc I want to wear them too!!!
xoxo

Little Bow Prep said...

Oh they are awesome!

Love the first green hat. It's amazing!

Missa said...

Hats are so much fun and such a great way to individualize and outfit!

Anonymous said...

Love JPG figure.
I bought a BĂ©ret, to look like Bonnie Parker :) Always so parisian & classy !

(Always so good posts from you !)

Creaholica said...

thank you very much :)
I really like your blog.